Monday, February 13, 2023

Gardens of Vextro

I keep putting off writing a post for Gardens of Vextro. It's just such an insanely cool thing, one of the raddest projects I've ever been a part of, and I'm worried about not doing it justice. I'm gonna not overthink it and keep it brief -- especially since I said most of what I wanted to say in the included developer commentaries already.

Gardens of Vextro is a chain game anthology made over several months last year by me and other members of the Vextro community. Each game was developed sequentially, with each game responding to all previous entries. I kicked it off with a short twine in August called Buried Flower. The rest of the community proceeded to knock me on my ass with every single amazing subsequent entry. I don't know what happened exactly, but it felt like the chain game structure brought out everyone's A-game. I'm ridiculously pleased with the final anthology.

We've gotten a lot more writing than I'm used to getting for releases! Thanks a ton to folks who went out of their way to write pieces; I'm linking each of them here for posterity. Please remind me if I'm missing any!

Also many thanks to saori (author of another reverie) for this lovely piece in part on Buried Flower.

The only thing that gets me higher than making art is inspiring friends to make art. Gardens of Vextro was a feedback loop of everyone impressing and delighting the hell out of each other. It's some of the most fun I've ever had. I'm deeply thankful to all my friends who worked on it (and for being giga-brained super-geniuses), and I'm deeply thankful to everyone that engaged with this singularly and beautifully deranged collection of stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment